|Photo by ossington|
It’s remarkable how many uses coconut oil has, and not just in the kitchen. If you’ve never used coconut oil, or can only think of one use for it, this list might surprise you. On the other hand, if you’re a seasoned coconut oil user, share what else you use it for, in the comments. There are many ways to reap the benefits of coconut oil, here are 15:
Edible Uses for Coconut Oil
1. Cooking oil: the obvious one. Not only does coconut oil have a delicious but mild flavor, it has a high smoke point, meaning you can cook with it on high heat. Refined coconut oil has an even higher smoke point, but it’s highly processed, diminishing many of its benefits – stick to organic unrefined virgin coconut oil.
3. Source of Good Fat: If you want to up your fat intake, there are many ways to incorporate this health food into in your diet, like throwing some in a smoothie, slathering it on your vegetables, or replacing any other fat that’s called for in a recipe.
4. Coffee/Tea “Creamer”: Perfect if you’re avoiding dairy. Make sure to let your beverage cool a little – the oil can get quite hot!
5. Mayonnaise: Next time you’re making mayo with olive oil, sub half of it with melted coconut oil.
Topical Uses for Coconut Oil
6. Face/Body Moisturizer: Coconut oil is the only moisturizer I use – my skin loves it.
7. Sunscreen: People living close to the equator have been using coconut oil for sun protection for centuries.
8. Medicinal: Coconut oil has antibacterial and healing properties – try putting some on a scrape, bruise, or sunburn to improve healing.
9. Hair conditioner: Apply a tiny bit of melted coconut oil to your ends as a leave-in conditioner.
10. Hair gel: You can use a dab, rubbed in your palms, for styling hair.
11. Make-up remover: Works like a charm.
12. Toothpaste: Homemade toothpaste recipes combine coconut oil with baking soda or salt.
13. Oil-pulling: Ayuverdic detox technique which involves swishing oil around in your mouth and then spitting it out (coconut is one of the recommended oils) .
14. Deodorant. Use coconut oil on your pits by itself, or some people combine it with baking soda or arrowroot powder to help absorb moisture.
15. Shaving cream: Coconut oil works great as a shaving cream.
What do you use coconut oil for?