Most commonly, recipes call for beef and chicken, and occasionally lamb, so it’s nice to mix things up every once in a while with a little bison. These bison burgers are juicy and flavorful, and the smoked cheese along with the red wine caramelized onions take them to another level. I could happily eat those onions by the spoonful. Serve over lettuce and your favourite burger toppings.
- 1 pound ground bison (not extra lean)
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, finely crumbled
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 3 yellow onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup dry red wine (e.g. Cabernet Sauvignon)
- cheese, optional (applewood cheddar or smoked mozzarella work nicely)
- other burger toppings of your preference
- beef tallow
1. Sauté onions in beef tallow over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
2. Lower the temperature to medium-low and caramelize the onions for another 45 minutes.
3. Add wine to the onions and cook for another 10 minutes. Yes, it’s a lengthy process, but the met-in your mouth result is well worth it.
1. In a large bowl, combine patty ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into patties without over-working the mixture.
2. Add beef tallow to hot pan. Cook the burgers until medium-rare to medium.
3. When the burgers are almost done, add slice of cheese on top until cheese melts.
4. Serve over lettuce and your other favorite toppings, with some of the caramelized onions over top of the cheese.