I’m quite pleased with this creation. I was wanting a dessert while doing an elimination diet, and searching through recipes was quite depressing. It seemed like I had eliminated everything. Even stuffed dates seemed off limits because those are typically filled with goat cheese or nuts. Honestly, if I ate pork, I’d just wrap them in some bacon and call it a day. Dates are quite sugary, so they’re perhaps not the best elimination or autoimmune protocol diet option, but they appear “allowed” and I wouldn’t be eating very many.
What compliant ingredient could I stuff dates with? My thoughts kept returning to my go-to elimination diet snack: coconut butter… and guess what. Not only did it work, it tasted pretty incredible. The coconut butter heated up nicely – a tiny bit spilled out, but I had no problem “cleaning” that up as well. And the shredded coconut I put on top toasted to a nice golden brown. Overall, a great success: a guilt-free, compliant dessert, and one that I would enjoy eating even if I was eating regularly (paleo/primal). I hope you like it!
- Dates (I used organic Medjool dates)
- Coconut butter/manna
- Shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Gently slice open the dates lengthwise to remove the pits (not all the way through to the bottom).
2. Stuff dates with coconut butter. I find it easier to stuff with solid butter rather than when it’s too runny. If you overstuff, some may spill out as it melts.
3. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top, pressing it onto the top of the coconut butter so it stays in place.
4. Bake the dates for approximately 10 minutes. You want the date to heat up, the coconut butter to melt, and the shredded coconut to toast. But you don’t want to burn the shredded coconut.
6. Serve warm and gooey.
Notes: This recipe is very forgiving – don’t worry about the measurements. Just grab as many dates as you want to use, some coconut butter, and shredded coconut and put it all together.