There’s nothing quite like a hearty soup in the winter. I enjoy cream of X vegetable soups, but don’t find them as satisfying as a meal with some protein. Enter Cream of Broccoli and Chicken Soup. Meaty, filling, and delicious. This soup is coconut milk based, upping the paleo factor.
Makes 3-4 servings
- 1/2 roasted chicken, shredded
- 1 lb. broccoli florets, torn apart into smaller florets
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk
- 1 L chicken broth (approx.)
- tallow (or your fat of choice)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In large pot, sauté onion, garlic, and celery in tallow until soft.
2. Add broccoli and enough chicken stock to steam (cover with lid, leaving it slightly ajar). Steam until softened (10-15 minutes).
3. Add coconut milk and half the chicken broth.
4. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes.
5. Food process or blend the soup, adding chicken broth if necessary.
6. Return blended soup to the pot. Add chicken.
7. Add remainder of chicken broth, checking for consistency – you don’t want the soup too runny, but keep in mind that the chicken will absorb some of the liquid.
8. Stir. Cook until chicken is heated through.
9. Season to taste.