Dessert doesn’t need to be complicated. And snacks don’t have to be boring. This fruity jelly is a cool, refreshing summer treat. It’s also a great use of frozen berries year-round. Also, gelatin is really good for you, making this even more of a guilt-free indulgence. And it couldn’t be simpler to prepare.
I use the GoBio brand of flavoured gelatin from Whole Foods. It comes in cherry and lemon flavours (I prefer the cherry). The ingredients are very clean, especially relative to alternatives like Jell-O (although I wish it didn’t have the “natural” flavouring). In case you’re wondering, the source of this particular gelatin is pork skin.
Ingredients: Organic gelatine, organic cherry juice powder, citric acid, organic beet root powder, natural cherry flavouring
– 1 package of GoBio organic jelly (or other brand, just be sure to use the correct amount of water as per the package’s instructions)
– 1 3/4 cups boiling water
– 1 Tbsp maple syrup (less than the 3-5 Tbsp of sweetener called for)
– A couple of handfuls of fruit – I prefer berries (bonus – if they’re frozen, the gelatin will set faster!)
– Whipped cream, lightly sweetened with maple syrup or honey (optional)
As per the instructions on the back, all you do is:
1. Empty jelly powder into a bowl (I like to use a glass Pyrex measuring cup).
2. Pour in boiling water.
3. Add maple syrup.
4. Stir until most of the granules have dissolved.
5. Pour into 3-4 serving bowls and add fruit.
6. Place bowls in fridge to set (they say 5 hours – it usually only takes a couple of hours if using frozen berries, just jiggle it gently to see if it has set).
8. Top with a dollop of whipped cream (optional).