These chewy, warm treats can be served as a snack, hors d’oeuvre, or dessert. Although they are rather pretty-looking, they are actually ridiculously easy to make. Warning: they’re highly addictive. And since dates are naturally very high in sugar, it’s probably best to simply buy only as many dates as you plan to eat, rather than testing your willpower (I speak from experience…).
– 16 Medjool dates
– 1 small log of goat cheese (approx. 4 oz)
– 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
– a handful of nuts, chopped (macadamia or pecan work well)
1. Slice open the dates lengthwise to remove the pits.
2. Combine cranberries and goat cheese.
3. Stuff goat cheese mixture into dates.
4. Sprinkle stuffed dates with nuts.
5. Broil on parchment-lined baking sheet for approx. 4 minutes – just long enough to warm up the dates without burning the nuts.
6. Serve warm and gooey.
Notes: This recipe is very forgiving – don’t worry about the measurements. Just grab as many dates as you want to use, some goat cheese, dried cranberries and whatever nuts you have on hand. As long as you end up with dates that have cheese and cranberries in them, with some nuts on top, you’re good to go!