How does apple go with turkey go with breakfast? Unusual combination, yes. But trust me, it’s delicious. I was on the hunt for egg-less breakfast ideas since I’m doing a 30 day elimination diet. Eggs were one of the items I was most trepidatious about eliminating, because that’s pretty much all I ever eat for breakfast. You can really eat anything for breakfast, like steak and salad. But given the choice, I still prefer something breakfast-y first thing in the morning. So, imagine my excitement when I liked this dish so much that I would happily devour it even if I wasn’t on an elimination diet!
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large apple, diced
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)*
- coconut oil
1) Heat coconut oil in large pan.
2) Cook the turkey in the pan, stirring and breaking the meat apart until almost cooked (approx. 15 minutes).
3) Add spices and continue sautéing the meat until it’s cooked through.
4) Add apple and sauté for another 3-5 minutes until the apple chunks are cooked.
5) Serve hot. If using walnuts, crumble them on top.
* Nuts are an elimination diet no-no, so feel free to skip those like I did. Otherwise, they provide some great crunch.