Pesto is traditionally made with basil, garlic, nuts (either walnuts or pine nuts), olive oil, and Parmigiano Reggiano. If you’re avoiding dairy, you won’t miss the cheese. Otherwise, feel free to add it for an extra layer of flavor.
Spread this yummy pesto on anything you’d like. It’s especially good instead of tomato paste on pizza (meatza), and as a sauce for zoodles (zucchini noodles). Take my advice and go easy on the garlic or you’ll end up with more bite than you bargained for.
(Makes approx. 1 cup)
- 1 large bunch of basil (approx. 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup walnuts or pine nuts
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano or other Parmesan cheese (optional)
- approx. 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Place basil, nuts, garlic and cheese (optional) in food processor.
2) Run the food processor, pausing to add olive oil to reach desired consistency.
3) Salt and pepper to taste.