Shepherd’s pie is a popular savory type of “pie” in the UK and Ireland. It’s quite simply ground lamb with veggies, with a “pie crust” of mashed potatoes. Except in this case, the paleo version uses mashed cauliflower. No lamb? No problem. Sub in ground beef. Only catch is, you then have to call it a “cottage pie”.
I’m on an elimination diet, and decided that Shepherd’s pie would fit the bill perfectly for breakfast. Of course, it would also be perfect for lunch or dinner, but something about a breakfast casserole appealed to me for first thing in the morning. It’s wonderfully comforting for the start of fall. And, it doesn’t contain anything that could potentially upset your gut (free of dairy, gluten, grains, eggs, nightshades, nuts, etc.). Oh, and of course, perhaps most importantly, it tastes delicious.
Ingredients: (6-8 servings)
- 1.5lbs ground lamb (or beef)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 0.5 lbs. cremini mushrooms, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos (optional)
- 2 heads cauliflower, steamed until very soft
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (or butter or ghee)
- coconut oil (or fat of choice)
1) Melt coconut oil in 2 large pans over medium heat (or can do one pan at a time).
2) Add onion, mushrooms, carrots, celery and garlic to one pan. Sauté until soft (approx. 10 minutes).
3) Add ground meat to other pan. Sautee until cooked through. (approx. 15 minutes).
4) Season ground meat with Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos (optional), salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and rosemary.
3. Combine meat with vegetables in medium rectangular Pyrex dish (11”x7.5”).
4. Pour the broth evenly over the meat and vegetable mixture.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. In a food processor, puree the cauliflower with 2 tbsp. olive oil. Puree until the cauliflower mash is consistently smooth throughout.
6. Spread mashed cauliflower over the meat and vegetable base.
7. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Shared with Healthy Home Economist.