These are no ordinary tacos. And not just because they’re wrapped in lettuce. If you enjoyed my chimichurri beef lettuce wraps, I guarantee you’ll love these. The beef explodes with seasoning, and holy moly guacamole is that guac ever delicious. Warning: you may not want to eat ordinary tacos after you’ve feasted on these!
- 2.5lbs of ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup taco seasoning*
- fat of choice (beef tallow / coconut oil / ghee)
Store-bought taco seasoning can have questionable ingredients, so it’s best to make your own. Plus, it’s super easy. Taco seasoning’s pretty standard, with the same mix popping up all over the web, so I use this one (it’s hard to go wrong with 5 stars and almost 3,000 reviews). The amounts below yield approximately half a cup.
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1.5 tsp. garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp. onion powder
- 1.5 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.5 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 3 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. black pepper
Guacamole: Holy Moly Guacamole recipe
- sour cream
- grated cheese
1) Prepare guacamole and set aside.
2) Place some fat on heated pan.
3) Add onions to the pan and sauté until softened (approx. 10 minutes).
4) Place ground beef in pan and sauté on medium heat, stirring and breaking the beef up so it doesn’t clump, until beef is almost cooked (approx. 15 minutes).
5) While beef is cooking, combine spices to make taco seasoning.
6) Add taco seasoning to beef and cook beef until no longer pink.
7) Assemble tacos on plate: leaf of iceberg lettuce, ground beef, sour cream (optional), guacamole, cheese (optional).