I’ve gushed previously about the best Indian food in Vancouver (if not North America), at Vij’s. There are a few ways to experience Vij’s food. There’s the restaurant, of course. As well as the bistro next door, Rangoli. The bistro also sells frozen packaged meals which you can re-heat at home. And then there’s the two cookbooks, Vij’s: Elegant and Inspired Indian Cuisine and Vij’s at Home: Relax, Honey.
I have a confession. Although I’ve had the signature lamb popsicles a few times at Vij’s, amazingly enough I actually love the home-cooked cookbook version even more! It ends up turning out more sweet (in a good way) than spicy, and also creamier for whatever reason. It’s the special occasion go-to dish that always gets rave reviews. People who don’t like lamb or Indian food have professed their love for this dish.
The recipe for Vij’s Marinated Lamp Popsicles with Fenugreek Cream Curry comes from the Elegant and Inspired Indian Cuisine cookbook, and has been plastered all over the net, so hopefully Vij’s won’t mind if I share an adaptation of it below. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 4 lbs French-cut rack of lamb, in chops
- 1/4 cup sweet white wine (Gewürztraminer works awesome)
- 3/4 yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. dried green fenugreek leaves
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. turmeric
1. Place lamb in a couple of large ziplock bags.
2. In a bowl, combine the wine, mustard, 1 tsp. of salt and pepper.
3. Pour marinade into ziplock bags, over the lamb. Place bags in fridge and marinate for 2-4 hours.
4. Add the following to a large bowl: cream, remainder of salt, paprika, cayenne, fenugreek leaves and lemon juice.
5. Heat ghee in pan. Sauté garlic until golden. Add turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cream curry and bring to gentle boil over low to medium heat, stirring to prevent the cream from burning (approx. 5 minutes).
6. Grill the lamb, 2-3 minutes per side.
7. Serve 4-5 popsicles on each plate, depending on their size. Pour some of the cream curry over the meat, and some into small individual bowls for dipping.
Vij’s serves this dish over great tasting turmeric new potatoes, but it also works well over some sautéed kale.